- 1 How do I know when my sweet potato pie is done?
- 2 Is sweet potato pie a black thing?
- 3 How long do you cook Patti Labelle pie?
- 4 Can you reheat a sweet potato pie in the oven?
- 5 How do I know when my pie is done?
- 6 Can you overcook sweet potatoes?
- 7 Is sweet potato pie supposed to be cold?
- 8 Do blacks like pumpkin pie or sweet potato pie?
- 9 Do I need to refrigerate a sweet potato pie?
- 10 Do you bake Patti LaBelle pies?
- 11 What is a Patti pie?
- 12 What is the best tasting store bought pie crust?
- 13 Is sweet potato pie better warm or cold?
- 14 Are sweet potatoes and yams the same thing?
- 15 How long can you keep a sweet potato pie?
How do I know when my sweet potato pie is done?
Follow these tips:
- When done, give the pie a nudge. The center of the pie should have some give; it should jiggle slightly in the center.
- The pie has an internal temperature of 175°F on an instant-read thermometer when done.
Is sweet potato pie a black thing?
It became an African cuisine tradition brought to the United States by slaves, who made it using sweet potatoes and yams, a plant native to Africa, instead of pumpkin. Ever since, sweet potato pie has been a must-have dish at many African-American family gatherings, especially Thanksgiving.
How long do you cook Patti Labelle pie?
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Uncover the pie shell and brush the interior with some of the melted butter. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the brown sugar over the bottom of the pie shell. Bake until the pie dough is set and just beginning to brown, about 15 minutes.
Can you reheat a sweet potato pie in the oven?
You can bake it up to two days ahead; cool it completely, cover with plastic wrap, and chill. Before serving, reheat it for about 15 minutes at 325° to bring back its silky texture.
How do I know when my pie is done?
Tip: What’s the best way to tell if your pie is done? For fruit pie, the top crust will be golden brown, and you’ll be able to see filling bubbling around the edges and/or through the vents. For best results, let the filling bubble for at least 5 minutes before removing the pie from the oven.
Can you overcook sweet potatoes?
(Another hot tip if you’re boiling your sweet potatoes: Don’t overcook them! They tend to absorb water, which could make the filling watery.) So say you do have some undercooked bits of sweet potato.
Is sweet potato pie supposed to be cold?
Personally, I prefer to eat it cold and I would often put whipped cream on top of my pie. However, some of my friends and family members like it best when it is served warm.
Do blacks like pumpkin pie or sweet potato pie?
As much as sweet potato pie is beloved within the black community and in the South, it doesn’t seem to get much love elsewhere. Our national pie divide is deepest when people choose between pumpkin pie and sweet potato pie on Thanksgiving Day.
Do I need to refrigerate a sweet potato pie?
If you are preparing this sweet potato pie a day in advance, you can keep it out at room temperature and covered loosely with foil. If you are making the pie more than a day in advance, cover the pie with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Do you bake Patti LaBelle pies?
The pie can be baked and refrigerated a day in advance. For the crust: Sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Add the shortening. Use a fork or a pastry blender to cut the shortening into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs with a few pea-size bits.
What is a Patti pie?
Patti LaBelle Sweet Potato Pie is a dessert straight from Patti? s kitchen to you. Baked to perfection with sweet potatoes, butter and spice, this quintessential pie will conjure up beloved memories of family gatherings from past holidays.
What is the best tasting store bought pie crust?
- Wholly Wholesome Organic Traditional – BEST OVERALL.
- Trader Joe’s Pie Crust – BEST VALUE.
- Wholly Gluten Free Pie Shell – GOOD GF OPTION.
- Leadbetter’s All Natural French Picnic Flaky Pastry Sheet – BEST TASTING.
- Pillsbury Pie Crusts.
- Wholly Wholesome Organic Pie Dough.
- Wholly Wholesome Organic Whole Wheat.
Is sweet potato pie better warm or cold?
HOW TO SERVE SWEET POTATO PIE. This recipe can be served at chilled or at room temperature. While I would not recommend slicing into it straight from the oven, it would be ok to re-warm it slightly too. I love a slice served with a dollop of soft, sweetened whipped cream, and a little sprinkling of cinnamon.
Are sweet potatoes and yams the same thing?
Yams are a monocot (a plant having one embryonic seed leaf) and from the Dioscoreaceae or Yam family. Sweet Potatoes, often called ‘yams’, are a dicot (a plant having two embryonic seed leaves) and are from the Convolvulacea or morning glory family.
How long can you keep a sweet potato pie?
How long does sweet potato pie last? The baked and cooled pie will keep for up to 4 days stored in the refrigerator. It will also keep for up to 1 month in the freezer.