- 1 Why is my chocolate pie filling runny?
- 2 Do you have to refrigerate chocolate pie with meringue?
- 3 Do you put chocolate pie in the refrigerator?
- 4 Can you freeze chocolate pie filling?
- 5 How do you thicken a pie filling?
- 6 How do you thicken chocolate pie filling?
- 7 How do you keep a chocolate pie from weeping?
- 8 Does lemon pie filling need refrigeration?
- 9 How do you keep meringue from sliding off a pie?
- 10 What pies do not need to be refrigerated?
- 11 Should fruit be refrigerated?
- 12 Can you leave apple pie out overnight?
- 13 Can you freeze pie filling with cornstarch?
- 14 How long will a chocolate pie last?
- 15 Can you freeze lemon pie filling?
Why is my chocolate pie filling runny?
You need to cook the filling long enough so the mixture coagulates (that happens at 160 degrees), but if you cook it too long, and don’t stir the mixture enough (stirring keeps the temperature down), you’ll overcook the custard: Overcooking breaks down those all-important proteins, and that’s when the weeping starts.
Do you have to refrigerate chocolate pie with meringue?
Refrigeration makes meringue weep more quickly, so let the pie stand at room temperature in a draft-free spot before serving it. After a few hours, however, it will need to be refrigerated. ”If the meringue is cooked before being added to the pie, it will be more stable and less likely to weep.
Do you put chocolate pie in the refrigerator?
Bacteria grow rapidly at temperatures between 40 °F and 140 °F; chocolate cream pie should be discarded if left out for more than 2 hours at room temperature. Freshly baked chocolate cream pie will keep for about 3 to 4 days in the fridge; refrigerate covered loosely with aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
Can you freeze chocolate pie filling?
Using a large, heavy-duty resealable plastic bag, spoon the cream filling into the bag. Squeeze as much air as you can then seal the bag. Mark with the storage date and stick the bag in the freezer. Cover the cooled pie crust with tin foil then place it in a resealable plastic bag before sticking in the freezer.
How do you thicken a pie filling?
The most common thickeners used for pie fillings are flour, cornstarch and tapioca. These starches all work well to thicken pie filling juices but not of equal power. All thickeners have advantages and disadvantage. The trick is to use just the right amount to achieve the desired thickness after the pie is baked.
How do you thicken chocolate pie filling?
chocolate pie filling: I use both egg yolks and cornstarch to thicken the chocolate pie filling in this recipe. The egg yolks get tempered and added to the hot pudding filling, helping to thicken it. The cornstarch adds an additional thickening agent to help the pie set up even better.
How do you keep a chocolate pie from weeping?
How to Keep a Meringue Pie from Weeping
- Choose a dry day. Humid or wet weather can cause the sugar in the meringue to absorb extra moisture in the air and turns sticky, or form small syrupy beads.
- Try a Swiss or Italian meringue.
- Make sure the pie filling is hot.
- If all else fails, use a paper towel.
Does lemon pie filling need refrigeration?
To maximize the shelf life of lemon pie filling after opening, refrigerate in a covered glass or plastic container.
How do you keep meringue from sliding off a pie?
Remove the paper once you’re ready to top the pie; the meringue will bond together with the rough surface of the filling as the pie cools, which will keep the meringue from sliding off when you go to slice it.
What pies do not need to be refrigerated?
Pies made with eggs, cream, sour cream, cream cheese, milk, including evaporated or condensed milk need special care. Pumpkin, cream, chiffon, or custard-based pies should not be out of the refrigerator for more than two hours.
Should fruit be refrigerated?
Storing fruit in the fridge Most fresh fruit, including apples, berries and grapes, will last longer if kept in their original packaging and stored in the crisper of your fridge. Berries can last in the fridge for about a week. It’s a good idea to eat as soon as possible so they don’t spoil.
Can you leave apple pie out overnight?
Is apple pie OK left out overnight? According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, fruit pies made with sugar can be stored at room temperature for up to two days. Keep it from drying out by stashing it in a pie carrier like this one ($22), or loosely wrap the pie with plastic or foil.
Can you freeze pie filling with cornstarch?
1. Don’t freeze pies that use cornstarch in the filling. Cornstarch molecules “thicken” pie fillings by trapping water as the starches are heated – but the freezing process breaks down the starch molecules. If you freeze and thaw a fruit pie thickened with cornstarch, it can “weep” and start releasing liquid.
How long will a chocolate pie last?
A freshly made chocolate silk pie should last 3-4 days in the fridge. Cover loosely with foil or plastic wrap and enjoy! I love knowing I have a slice waiting for me.
Can you freeze lemon pie filling?
If you’re making the meringue pie from scratch, leave the lemon custard filling to cool completely prior to freezing. Once the pie has cooled completely, place it in a baking dish and stick in the freezer. Leave the pie to freeze for at least 2 hours, no cover needed.