- 1 How do I know when my sweet potato pie is done?
- 2 What temperature should baked sweet potatoes be?
- 3 How long do you leave pies in the oven?
- 4 How long do you bake sweet potatoes for at 400 degrees?
- 5 How do I know when my pie is done?
- 6 Can you overcook sweet potatoes?
- 7 Is it better to bake or microwave sweet potatoes?
- 8 Do sweet potatoes take longer to bake?
- 9 Should I poke holes in sweet potatoes?
- 10 What is the best temperature to bake pastry?
- 11 How do you keep a pie from getting soggy on the bottom?
- 12 Do you cover a pie while cooling?
- 13 Why is my sweet potato still hard?
- 14 What can I put on top of sweet potatoes?
- 15 Can you eat sweet potato skin?
How do I know when my sweet potato pie is done?
Follow these tips:
- When done, give the pie a nudge. The center of the pie should have some give; it should jiggle slightly in the center.
- The pie has an internal temperature of 175°F on an instant-read thermometer when done.
What temperature should baked sweet potatoes be?
Technically, you want them to be between 205 to 212 degrees F. in the thickest part of the potato when they’re done. Baked sweet potato microwave version: Although it’s not my favorite way, you can definitely cook a sweet potato in the microwave with decent results!
How long do you leave pies in the oven?
Heating Fully Baked Pies: Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. Put the pie, turnovers, or pastry on a cookie sheet on foil or parchment, and lightly cover with foil. For a 9-inch pie, heat for 15-20 minutes. A 5-inch pie will take about 12-15 minutes and turnovers will take about 10-12 minutes.
How long do you bake sweet potatoes for at 400 degrees?
Preheat oven to 400 °F. Cover a rimmed baking sheet with foil. With a fork, pierce the sweetpotatoes all over; place on foil and bake until fork tender, 45-60 minutes.
How do I know when my pie is done?
Tip: What’s the best way to tell if your pie is done? For fruit pie, the top crust will be golden brown, and you’ll be able to see filling bubbling around the edges and/or through the vents. For best results, let the filling bubble for at least 5 minutes before removing the pie from the oven.
Can you overcook sweet potatoes?
(Another hot tip if you’re boiling your sweet potatoes: Don’t overcook them! They tend to absorb water, which could make the filling watery.) So say you do have some undercooked bits of sweet potato.
Is it better to bake or microwave sweet potatoes?
It’s really the best way. Microwaving sweet potatoes cuts down cook time by 45-55 minutes, and helps maintain nutritional value. Baking a sweet potato in the microwave preserves far more nutrients (folate, vitamins A and C) than boiling it, for example.
Do sweet potatoes take longer to bake?
As a rule of thumb, russets take slightly longer to cook than sweet potatoes. But your cooking method makes a difference in cooking times – sometimes russets and sweet potatoes can cook in the same amount of time. Size also matters, because a large sweet potato may take more time to cook than a tiny russet.
Should I poke holes in sweet potatoes?
Poking holes in the potato helps steam to escape which will hopefully prevent potatoes being splattered all over your oven. Take the time to poke holes.
What is the best temperature to bake pastry?
In almost all cookbooks, the recommended temperature for baking a pie or tart pastry blind is 425 to 450 degrees. Pamela A. Asquith’s ”The Fruit Tart Cookbook” (Harmon Books, 1982) even tells readers that baking a crust at too low a temperature might make it tough.
7 Tips to Help You Avoid a Soggy Pie Crust
- Use less water. Use the liquid amount as a guideline and sprinkle it on a tablespoon at a time just until your dough comes together.
- Blind-bake your crust.
- Fight the puff a better way.
- Egg wash.
- Seal your crust with chocolate.
- Drain the fruit.
- Use thickeners.
Do you cover a pie while cooling?
After baking, pie should be left at room temperature as the cooling process normally takes 2-4 hours. Within 4 hours, the pie should then be placed in the refrigerator. Cover loosely with plastic wrap until serving. Pie may be refrigerated for 2-3 days.
Why is my sweet potato still hard?
The main reason sweet potatoes are so hard to cut is because they’re much denser than a regular potato. A sweet potato has smaller molecules, and they are packed much tighter than other vegetables. They resemble carrots and butternut squash in this regard.
What can I put on top of sweet potatoes?
- Brown sugar, cinnamon, butter and salt.
- Maple syrup, butter, and toasted pecans.
- Sour cream, chives, salt, and pepper.
- Blue cheese, walnuts and honey.
- Mini marshmallows, brown sugar and cinnamon (pop it under the broiler to toast the marshmallows a bit)
- Beef, Turkey or Veggie Chili.
- Sloppy Joe meat.
Can you eat sweet potato skin?
Sweet potato skins are safe to eat and can be easily added to most recipes. They’re rich in fiber, other nutrients, and antioxidants that can help support a healthy gut, increase feelings of fullness, and prevent chronic disease. If you’re looking to get the most nutrition out of your sweet potato, keep the peel on.