- 1 What is traditional shepherd’s pie?
- 2 What is real shepherd’s pie made of?
- 3 How do you make a James Martin Shepherd’s pie?
- 4 Why is it called shepherd’s pie?
- 5 What sides go with shepherd’s pie?
- 6 Is Shepherd’s pie English or Irish?
- 7 Can you freeze shepherd’s pie?
- 8 What wine goes with shepherd’s pie?
- 9 How do you reheat shepherd’s pie in the oven?
- 10 Which red wine is best for cottage pie?
- 11 Is cottage pie the same as shepherd’s pie?
- 12 What is the beef version of shepherd’s pie?
What is traditional shepherd’s pie?
February 21, 2017. This Traditional Shepherd’s Pie is a British comfort food classic loved by all. This is a classic recipe using ground lamb cooked with vegetables and Guinness for an extra flavor boost, topped with fluffy mashed potato and baked. The same recipe using ground beef is called Cottage Pie.
What is real shepherd’s pie made of?
Shepherd’s pie, cottage pie, or hachis Parmentier is a minced meat pie with a crust or topping of mashed potato; it is most likely of English origin. The dish has many variants, but the defining ingredients are minced red meat cooked in a gravy or sauce with onions, and a topping of mashed potato.
How do you make a James Martin Shepherd’s pie?
- 8 medium baking potatoes.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus extra for rubbing.
- rock salt.
- 600g minced beef.
- 2 onions, finely chopped.
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped.
- 4 sprigs of thyme, leaves picked and finely chopped.
- 1 celery stick, finely diced.
Why is it called shepherd’s pie?
Cottage pie or shepherd’s pie is a type of savory pie. It is made with minced meat, with mashed potato on top. It comes from the United Kingdom and Ireland. If it is made with lamb it is usually called “shepherd’s pie” (because a shepherd looks after sheep).
What sides go with shepherd’s pie?
Serve shepherd’s pie with…
- Something with Veggies. mushy peas. buttered cabbage. thyme carrots. corn. broccoli & cauliflower. butternut squash. parsnips. roasted beets.
- Something Starchy. soda bread. dinner rolls. baked beans. Yorkshire puddings. broad beans.
- Just Salads. garden salad. carrot & apple salad.
Is Shepherd’s pie English or Irish?
Shepherd’s pie, common and inexpensive British dish originating from the sheep country in Scotland and northern England. It is a baked meat pie made with minced or diced lamb and topped with a thick layer of mashed potatoes.
Can you freeze shepherd’s pie?
Serve and enjoy! Freezer Instructions: After baking, let pan cool to room temperature, then cover tightly with foil and place in the freezer for up to 2 months. When ready to eat, reheat the shepherd’s pie (still covered with the foil) for 1 hour in a 350ºF oven.
What wine goes with shepherd’s pie?
Shepherd’s Pie with Sangiovese Why the pairing works: Sangiovese, the main grape of Chianti and the sub-region Colli Senesi, is a winning food pairing wine. It’s lively acidity, moderate tannins, and savory notes will balance the richness of the spiced lamb meat.
How do you reheat shepherd’s pie in the oven?
So, how do you reheat shepherd’s pie in the oven? To reheat shepherd’s pie in the oven, cover your shepherd’s pie tightly with foil and bake in an oven-safe container at 350°F for 30 minutes.
Which red wine is best for cottage pie?
Cottage Pie needs a low tannin Red wine with little or no oak influence. For chilli-dishes select a ripe, lush wine like a Zinfandel to stand up to the spiciness of the dish. Red Burgundy is the traditional match for Beef Bourguignon, Merlot dominated blends from both Australia and Bordeaux.
Is cottage pie the same as shepherd’s pie?
Let’s start with a fairly well-known one: there is a difference between “ cottage pie ” and “shepherd’s pie”, and it’s in the meat. Shepherd’s pie should only be named as such if it contains lamb, and “cottage” usually applies to one made with beef.
What is the beef version of shepherd’s pie?
What is the difference between Shepherd’s pie and Cottage Pie? Simply put – the true definition of shepherd’s pie is that it contains ground lamb – it’s Shepherd’s pie (because shepherds cared for sheep) and Cottage Pie is made with beef. If you add breadcrumbs or cheese to the top, it is called “Cumberland Pie”.