- 1 How do you use a cast iron pie iron?
- 2 How do you use campfire pie irons?
- 3 How do you clean a cast iron iron pie?
- 4 How do you season a pie iron in the oven?
- 5 What is a pie iron for camping?
- 6 Where is Rome cast iron made?
- 7 How do you get rust off a pudgy pie?
- 8 How do you cure a cast iron skillet?
- 9 What is a mountain pie maker?
- 10 Can you use a pie iron on a stove?
- 11 How do you use a double pie iron?
How do you use a cast iron pie iron?
The best meal procedure for the pie iron goes like this: grease the pans a little; add a starch, like mashed potatoes, dough, or bread; add fillings; then cover with the same starch. Clasp the irons shut, then lay flat over a bed of hot embers or coals to cook evenly.
How do you use campfire pie irons?
To use either kind of campfire cooker, all you need to do is butter up two slices of bread, place each slice butter-side down on the pie iron, load it up with your favorite savory or sweet fillings and cook it over the campfire until it’s nice and toasty.
How do you clean a cast iron iron pie?
Wash the pie iron with hot water and dish soap (this is one of the only times you’ll ever use dish soap on cast iron), then thoroughly dry it (do not leave it to air dry). Use a paper towel to rub the pie iron with oil or shortening (not butter or margarine). Be sure to cover every part of the pan, inside and out.
How do you season a pie iron in the oven?
Allow the cast iron to cool completely then rub on a layer of Crisco vegetable shortening (or similar non butter type). Cover the entire pie iron on both sides. Once both sides are thoroughly coated, place them back on the grill for about 15 minutes and flip them over about half way through.
What is a pie iron for camping?
A pie iron (also called camp cooker) is a small, hinged, cast iron camp cooking tool with long handles. It’s used to grill and bake food right over the campfire. It’s a super easy way to make breakfast, lunch and dinner recipes while camping.
Where is Rome cast iron made?
Rome has been producing these irons since 1964, but now it’s China. I’ve had one for years, use it all the time, and it’s certainly qood quality, I can tell you that much.
How do you get rust off a pudgy pie?
Steps for Spring Cleaning the Pie Irons
- Soak pie irons in bucket of hot, soapy water for 5-10 minutes.
- Scrub the inside and the outside of the pie irons, using a scrub brush or even steel wool when necessary to remove any rust.
- Rinse with hot water.
- Dry thoroughly over coals or a fire.
How do you cure a cast iron skillet?
How To Season Your Cast-Iron Skillet:
- Scrub skillet well in hot soapy water.
- Dry thoroughly.
- Spread a thin layer of melted shortening or vegetable oil over the skillet.
- Place it upside down on a middle oven rack at 375°. (Place foil on a lower rack to catch drips.)
- Bake 1 hour; let cool in the oven.
What is a mountain pie maker?
Mountain pies, also known as hobo pies, camper pies and campfire pies, are made by placing a favorite filling between two slices of bread that have been buttered, greased or oil on the outside and placed in a long-handled, metal tool that is held over a campfire until the ingredients are heated and the bread is fused
Can you use a pie iron on a stove?
The pie iron is very simple to use and dose not require a fire. We suggest a grill but even a gas stove top would work.
How do you use a double pie iron?
To use simply place 2 pieces of buttered bread in the clam shell style compartment and fill with preserves, pie filling, cheese or meat. Add 2 pieces of bread on top, close the lid and toast over the fire until done. Perfect for campfires or backyard firepits.