- 1 How do you use a pudgy pie maker?
- 2 What are Pudgie pies?
- 3 Can you use pie iron on stove?
- 4 How long do you leave a pie iron in the fire?
- 5 What is the best hobo pie maker?
- 6 How do you keep mountain pies from sticking?
- 7 Where did Pudgie pies originate?
- 8 What is a mountain pie maker?
- 9 Can you use a pie iron on a Coleman stove?
- 10 How do you season a pie iron in the oven?
- 11 How do you care for a pie iron?
- 12 How do you clean a pie iron after use?
- 13 How do you clean a pie maker?
How do you use a pudgy pie maker?
All you need to do is pile fillings between two pieces of bread, place the bread in the pie-iron, clamping it shut, and holding the whole thing over some open flames. Once the bread is toasted and the fillings are warmed through, you remove the sandwich from the pie iron and dig right in.
What are Pudgie pies?
For the uninitiated, pudgie pies are grilled sandwiches made in a long-handled, double-sided cast iron skillet that’s thrust into a campfire. Cook times per pie range from 5 to 10 minutes depending on how hot the heat source.
Can you use pie iron on stove?
The pie iron is now ready for heating, hold it over a camp fire or prop it up over a bed of coals for cooking. The pie iron can also be used on a camp stove, home stove, in a fireplace or in the back yard barbecue grill. The basic instructions for making a fruit pie is the same as a toasted sandwich.
How long do you leave a pie iron in the fire?
Cook the recipe over an open fire. Most recipes take five to ten minutes to cook but times can vary widely depending on how hot the fire is. I recommend placing the iron over the fire for two minutes before unlatching, checking for doneness and flipping the iron over to cook the other side.
What is the best hobo pie maker?
Best Pie Iron, Hobo Pie, Pudgy Pie List
- Rome Pie Iron (Best for Camping) Rome Pie Iron are the classic Pie Iron.
- Toas-Tite 79357 Aluminum Sandwich Grill (Best Aluminum Model) For a Aluminum Model, consider the Toas-Tite model.
- Palmer Hobo Pie Iron Long Handle (Best Non Stick)
- Electrical Model and Variations.
How do you keep mountain pies from sticking?
butter – You can use butter, margarine as pictured above, cooking spray, or oil. I prefer butter for its flavor, but the others will toast the mountain pie perfectly and keep it from sticking.
Where did Pudgie pies originate?
The original Jaffle brand jaffle iron was designed and patented in 1949 by Dr Earnest Smithers, of Bondi, Australia. Pie irons were popular with campers in the 1960s and ’70s in the United States.
What is a mountain pie maker?
Mountain pies, also known as hobo pies, camper pies and campfire pies, are made by placing a favorite filling between two slices of bread that have been buttered, greased or oil on the outside and placed in a long-handled, metal tool that is held over a campfire until the ingredients are heated and the bread is fused
Can you use a pie iron on a Coleman stove?
Probably, yes. It is Ike a small cast iron skillet with a 2 foot handle. You can put it on any normal heat source. But on a stove it would not be very practical with the long handle.
How do you season a pie iron in the oven?
Allow the cast iron to cool completely then rub on a layer of Crisco vegetable shortening (or similar non butter type). Cover the entire pie iron on both sides. Once both sides are thoroughly coated, place them back on the grill for about 15 minutes and flip them over about half way through.
How do you care for a pie iron?
Steps for Spring Cleaning the Pie Irons
- Soak pie irons in bucket of hot, soapy water for 5-10 minutes.
- Scrub the inside and the outside of the pie irons, using a scrub brush or even steel wool when necessary to remove any rust.
- Rinse with hot water.
- Dry thoroughly over coals or a fire.
How do you clean a pie iron after use?
Fill your sink with enough hot water to cover the pie iron. Allow them to soak for about 15 minutes to loosen the stuck on ash and food. Then, take a nylon brush and give them a good scrubbing. Finally, rinse them under hot water.
How do you clean a pie maker?
The easiest way to clean your mini pie maker is as follows: Open the mini pie maker like a book, and use a wet, soapy cloth to clean all the surfaces. Make sure not to miss any nooks and crannies that may harbor caramelized sugars. Allow the excess liquid to drip down onto a clean kitchen towel, or into the sink.