- 1 How do I know when my sweet potato pie is done?
- 2 What temperature should baked sweet potatoes be?
- 3 How long do you bake sweet potatoes for at 400 degrees?
- 4 How long do sweet potatoes take cook?
- 5 How do I know when my pie is done?
- 6 How do you know when an egg custard pie is done?
- 7 Can you overcook sweet potatoes in the oven?
- 8 Is it better to bake or microwave sweet potatoes?
- 9 Do sweet potatoes take longer to bake?
- 10 Should you poke holes in sweet potatoes before baking?
- 11 What can I put on top of sweet potatoes?
- 12 Why is my sweet potato hard in the middle?
- 13 What is a garnet sweet potato?
- 14 What are jewel sweet potatoes?
How do I know when my sweet potato pie is done?
Follow these tips:
- When done, give the pie a nudge. The center of the pie should have some give; it should jiggle slightly in the center.
- The pie has an internal temperature of 175°F on an instant-read thermometer when done.
What temperature should baked sweet potatoes be?
Technically, you want them to be between 205 to 212 degrees F. in the thickest part of the potato when they’re done. Baked sweet potato microwave version: Although it’s not my favorite way, you can definitely cook a sweet potato in the microwave with decent results!
How long do you bake sweet potatoes for at 400 degrees?
Preheat oven to 400 °F. Cover a rimmed baking sheet with foil. With a fork, pierce the sweetpotatoes all over; place on foil and bake until fork tender, 45-60 minutes.
How long do sweet potatoes take cook?
1Heat the oven to 375°F and arrange a rack in the middle. With a sharp paring knife, slice an “X” into the top of the sweet potato and place it directly on the rack with a piece of foil on the rack below. Bake until the potato is easily pierced with a knife, 60 to 70 minutes.
How do I know when my pie is done?
Tip: What’s the best way to tell if your pie is done? For fruit pie, the top crust will be golden brown, and you’ll be able to see filling bubbling around the edges and/or through the vents. For best results, let the filling bubble for at least 5 minutes before removing the pie from the oven.
How do you know when an egg custard pie is done?
When the edges are firm, but the center jiggles gently when you shake the pan, your pie is done. Turn the oven off immediately, open the door—propping it open with a wooden spoon if needed—and leave the pie in the oven until both have totally cooled off.
Can you overcook sweet potatoes in the oven?
You can bake or boil your sweet potatoes for sweet potato casserole. If you’re boiling, make sure to cut your sweet potatoes into equal-size pieces so they cook at the same rate. (Another hot tip if you’re boiling your sweet potatoes: Don’t overcook them! They tend to absorb water, which could make the filling watery.)
Is it better to bake or microwave sweet potatoes?
It’s really the best way. Microwaving sweet potatoes cuts down cook time by 45-55 minutes, and helps maintain nutritional value. Baking a sweet potato in the microwave preserves far more nutrients (folate, vitamins A and C) than boiling it, for example.
Do sweet potatoes take longer to bake?
As a rule of thumb, russets take slightly longer to cook than sweet potatoes. But your cooking method makes a difference in cooking times – sometimes russets and sweet potatoes can cook in the same amount of time. Size also matters, because a large sweet potato may take more time to cook than a tiny russet.
Should you poke holes in sweet potatoes before baking?
Do you poke holes in potatoes before baking? Yes!!! In all honesty, we’ve never had a potato explode, but we’ve heard the horror stories. Poking holes in the potato helps steam to escape which will hopefully prevent potatoes being splattered all over your oven.
What can I put on top of sweet potatoes?
- Brown sugar, cinnamon, butter and salt.
- Maple syrup, butter, and toasted pecans.
- Sour cream, chives, salt, and pepper.
- Blue cheese, walnuts and honey.
- Mini marshmallows, brown sugar and cinnamon (pop it under the broiler to toast the marshmallows a bit)
- Beef, Turkey or Veggie Chili.
- Sloppy Joe meat.
Why is my sweet potato hard in the middle?
Storing them in the refrigerator It’s too cold in there, which changes the potato’s cell structure and makes them hard in the center (even after you cook them). The best way to store sweet potatoes is to find a cool, dark area and they’ll cook up soft and sweet, every time.
What is a garnet sweet potato?
The Garnet is also called the red yam. Quite moist, its orange-yellow flesh is described as being “succulent” and having an excellent flavor. Encased in a light red-purplish garnet-colored skin, some can grow to be a foot long. To store, keep in a well ventilated area, preferably a basket.
What are jewel sweet potatoes?
The jewel sweet potato, with its copper skin and deep-orange flesh, is probably what you think of when you think sweet potato. It’s traditionally used for baking and casseroles, especially around holidays. But there are also sweet potatoes, such as the hannah variety, that doesn’t have an orange interior at all.